I had a very successful “no bake” baking weekend last weekend. I made a number of desserts from scratch which required no oven time at all. I was suddenly lumbered with throwing a very last minute Valentine’s party so needed to whip up some desserts which required minimal effort and time. Home made desserts in under 30 mins, what more could you want?
These cheat bakes are perfect for those that want to satisfy their baking craving (is that a thing?) but don’t want to spend hours baking and slaving over an oven.
The chocolate mousse cups went down a storm with all my Valentine’s guests and were the first items to fly off the table as soon as the dessert table was declared open! A soft, smooth, melt in your mouth concoction which I topped off with mini chocolate bars made from silicon moulds and finished off by pouring into small glass cups.
These mini mousse cups don’t just need to be made for parties, for those that just want to indulge in a little after work treat, this would be ideal too.
For the chocolate mousse, I followed this recipe:
- 115g/4oz dark chocolate
- 55g/2oz butter
- 4 free-range eggs, separated and at room temperature
- 70g/2½oz icing sugar
- 300ml/10 fl oz double cream
- Melt the chocolate and butter by placing in a bowl over a pan of simmering water (making sure the bottom of the bowl does not touch the water). Leave to cool a little.
- Add the egg yolks to the chocolate mixture, then stir in the icing sugar.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the egg whites until they form soft peaks. In another bowl, whisk the double cream until soft peaks form when the whisk is removed.
- Fold the double cream carefully into the chocolate mixture then fold that mixture into the egg whites.
- Pour the mixture into a serving bowl, cover with cling film and transfer to the fridge for a minimum of 12 hours.