Move over Valentine’s Day, there’s a new date in February which is much more important and one which I look forward to every year – Pancake Day. A day which you can celebrate without needing another half, and you know for certain pancakes will never let you down.
Pancake Day is my absolute favourite time of the year, I end up eating more pancakes in this week than I do all year. In preparation for this Tuesday, I’ve been consuming every kind of pancake known to mankind (all in the name of research of course) and have been loving playing around with different toppings.
So for those of you who are lacking inspiration or looking for the perfect pancake recipe for tomorrow, worry no more, this post may just have come at the right time for you. A simple recipe that gives you fluffy American pancakes in no time and one that tastes good despite what topping you add. However, if you’re after a more crepe like recipe then be sure to check out my Mums Special Pancake Recipe – a classic recipe which brings back many fond memories.
For the American Style Pancakes, I used this recipe:
Ingredients (makes ~10):
- 130g Plain Flour
- 1tsp Baking Powder
- 2 tbsp Sugar
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 130ml/4½fl oz Milk
- 1 Egg (lightly beaten)
- 2 tbsp Melted Butter (allowed to cool slightly) or olive oil, plus extra for cooking
- Sift the flour, baking powder, salt and caster sugar into a bowl and stir through.
- In a separate jug, lightly whisk together the milk and egg then combine in the slightly cooled melted butter.
- Pour the milk mixture into the flour mixture and beat together until you have a smooth batter. Let the batter stand for a few minutes.
- Heat a non-stick frying pan over a medium heat and add a knob of butter or some oil. When it’s melted, add a ladle of batter into the centre of the pan – it should be quite thick since we’re after fluffy pancakes.
- Wait until the top of the pancake begins to bubble, then turn it over and cook until both sides are golden brown.
- Repeat until all the batter is used up.
In terms of toppings, there are three classic variations all of which I am currently obsessed with. And since pancakes are socially acceptable to be eaten throughout the day on pancake day, these toppings are perfect for different times in the day.
Breakfast – Yogurt & Summer Fruits:
- A dollop of Greek Yogurt
- Berries of your choice – strawberries, blueberries etc.
- Maple Syrup (optional)
This is a very light combination and would be perfect to whip up for breakfast on Pancake Day. It’s not as heavy as a chocolate based filling and with a drizzle of maple syrup on top, this will fuel you with enough energy for the rest of the day.
Lunch – Sugar & Lemon:
- Caster Sugar
- Lemon Juice
A true topping classic. Simple yet effective. An easy to do topping which can so easily be constructed at your work desk – and it’ll give you something to look forward to eating on such a windy, miserable Tuesday morning.
Dinner – Nutella & Banana:
- A dollop of Nutella
- Sliced Bananas
- Caramel (Optional)
- Peanut Butter (Optional)
- Strawberries (Optional)
My most favourite combination out of the 3. A super sweet filling which is perfect to devour at dinner. If you’re feeling adventurous, why not add peanut butter or a drizzle of caramel? Or to get more of your 5 a day, slice some strawberries on too. It verges on being healthy then right?
Happy Pancake Day!