I must admit that when it comes to desserts, I always go for the chocolatiest (is that even a word?) option available. The thought of a chocolate dessert makes me drool…..mmmmmm.
However, during the Christmas break, I thought I’d push the boat out a little and attempt to bake something that was as far away from chocolate as possible, a lemon drizzle cake!
I was pleasantly surprised as to how easy it was to make this lemon loaf, it’s a quick and easy recipe which is perfect for when you have guests round for tea!
You will need –
- 225g Unsalted Butter
- 225g Caster Sugar
- 225g Self-Raising Flour
- 4 eggs
- Finely grated zest of 1 lemon
- A loaf tin, lined and greased
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/fan 160C/gas 4 and line your loaf tin with greaseproof paper.
2. Measure out all of your ingredients into separate bowls. I feel doing this makes life so much easier since you don’t have to faff about with measuring whilst you’re mixing!
3. Beat together the caster sugar and softened unsalted butter until it is all soft and creamy, then slowly add 4 eggs, making sure you mix thoroughly in between. Sift in the flour and fold through carefully.
4. Finely grate the zest of 1 lemon. add to the mixture and mix until the lemon zest is well combined.
5. Spoon in the mixture to your pre-lined loaf tin. Bake for 45-50 mins until a thin skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean.
Additional Steps –
6. Now, I left my cake as it is since I didn’t want to be overwhelmed with a lemon flavour but if you’re after the ultimate lemon taste then you can also whisk up a lemon drizzle to pour over the cake.
To do this you’ll need –
- Juice of 1.5 lemons
- 85g of caster sugar.
Mix the juice and sugar together. Prick the entire cake with a fork making sure that the cake remains in the tin. Pour over the drizzle, this will allow the juice to soak the through the entire cake and the sugar will form a crisp topping. Leave in the tin until completely cool, then remove and serve.
And there you have it, the perfect lemon cake which goes down a treat with a hot cup of tea!